The Cape Symphony & Conservatory employs approximately 75 musicians, more than 60 educators and artists and a team of professionals to help create, administer and support its vibrant concert season, arts programs at two campuses and educational programs throughout the Cape & Islands community.
Current Job Opportunities
Position: Symphony Librarian, Independent Contractor
Function: Provide library services as outlined below to the Cape Symphony
Reports to: Director of Concert Operations, Artistic Director
Summary: The Cape Symphony Librarian manages the orchestra’s library and fulfills and coordinates all orchestra requirements related to musical parts and scores.
Requirements: Must be able to read music. Must be able to manage and handle heavy boxes. Excellent communication and computer skills required. Must be highly organized and able to meet deadlines.
Fee: Per concert basis
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Music Delivery/Shipping/Tracking
- Take delivery of and track incoming music; pack and ship outgoing music and maintain shipping records
- Check all incoming and outgoing performance materials for condition and completeness
- Ship photocopied music to substitute musicians in advance upon request
- Ensure prompt return of rented or borrowed materials and adherence to copyright laws
- Music Preparation
- Work with conductor and soloists to prepare music according to their specific requirements (editions, keys, matching rehearsal marks)
- Assemble industry standard parts from digital formats of new arrangements and commissions.
- Provide instrumentation information and report part irregularities to the Artistic Director and Director of Concert Operations upon request.
- Responsible for all bowing markings ensuring they are complete and accurate in keeping with and according to bowing schedule.
- Transfer bowings from principal string parts to all string section parts; ensure accuracy of bowing markings before music is distributed
- Photocopy and assemble any needed additional parts. Arrange music in concert order in orchestra folders; include program order in music folders. Ensure all folders are ready for distribution during preceding concert cycle.
- Report music lost or damaged to Director of Concert Operations
- Concert/Rehearsal Duties
- Attend all rehearsals and concerts, and be attentive to requests from conductor and musicians.
- Arrive 1 hour before rehearsals and concerts. Ensure that all musicians have music and, if not, provide replacements.
- Distribute and collect music at concerts and rehearsals; assist Artistic Director and musicians with needs related to printed music.
- Place conductor’s score on music stand 10 minutes prior to each concert half.
- Bring copies of all back-up scores to all rehearsals and concerts
Orchestra Library Maintenance
- Maintain the orchestra’s collection of scores and parts; repair and maintain music and folders.
- Catalog and file music purchased for the orchestra library. Maintain accurate inventory and ensure adequate security
- Track all items removed from the library, i.e. individual parts, scores, reference materials and ensure their timely return.
- Be available to Conductor, Director of Concert Operations, and musicians via phone, text, and email. Must respond to all communications within 1 business day.
Please email resume to: email@example.com
NO PHONE CALLS
There are no other auditions occurring at this time, but please check back regularly for new opportunities. The Cape Symphony is a per-service orchestra.If you wish to be considered as a supplemental musician:
Send One-Page Resume and YouTube Link To Audition Video To:
SUPPLEMENTAL MUSICIAN REPERTOIRE